Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Today was better

I actually felt like a real mom today.

Blondie had a doctor's appointment, so I left work and drove to daycare. I had to wait 20 minutes for the girls to arrive, because I was in that "in between" travel time--too late to get them before they got on the bus--too early for them to have gotten there. We went straight to the doctor, where we waited the prerequisite amount of time.

We dropped the prescription off at the drugstore, picked up kid meals for them, dropped Brownie (with her change of clothes) off at dance class. Blondie and I went to the two stores the doctor recommended for the "excema approved" body wash. Neither place had it, but we bought the morning and evening allergy meds (two bottles--one for each household) and the most similar looking fragrance free body wash. She is no longer allowed to wash her hair in the shower--it must be done over the sink without the shampoo getting on her skin.

Then we rushed back to dance class and arrived just 5 minutes late. Brownie--being the actual dancer--was there on time. It was parents night at dance--all the details (three pages back and front) about the upcoming recital. My husband and the girls' mom arrived as the class progressed. Hubby, Blondie and I got to go into the room (instead of peeking through the window) to watch the performance. Brownie made a special point of asking Blondie to "please pause your shuffle so you can actually watch me this time." The fact that she noticed was only rivaled by the fact that Blondie complied and quickly.

We divvied up the purchased supplies for Blondie, we watched Brownie try on her costume, and I filled in their mom on the doctor's appointment. I am again so grateful that we have a very good relationship and work together where the girls are concerned. She and I were the last ones leaving the room and Blondie looked over her shoulder and gave us the best line of the day, said as only a preteen or teenager can, "Come on, mothers!"

Thanks to everyone for the words of support. They really have helped.