Sunday, May 11, 2008

It isn't only kids who say the darndest things...

It started out as a regular day at the nursing home. My 86 year old mother-in-law told my husband where to put the flowers, and when he put them two centimeters off, she corrected him. She and her roommate gossiped about all their fellow residents. We waited for lunch in the dining hall. We were reintroduced to many people. Then, one of the workers came up to my mother-in-law and told her how cute and funny she was.

"I asked her if she was from the country because that's the only place she could come up with some of the things she says," laughed the worker.

"It's a good thing you're funny," I remarked, "because it makes up for the times when you are a pain in the neck."

"A pain in the ass you mean," replied my MIL.

I asked her what she had said to them that was so funny.

"Well, I was sitting with a bunch of them at the table and they asked me if I wanted another man. I told them 'No way. I'm old and cold and wrinkled in the hole.' They all laughed and didn't know what to say."

I am quite sure I don't know what to say either, except I wish I had known her when she was younger.

I hope your Mother's Days included some laughs as well.