Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend

I have been interested in going to the Kerrville Folk Festival for a while, and this year we made it. We met one of my best friends and her boyfriend fairly late Friday. Sweetheart did an amazing job of packing the car and dropping Spencer off at the kennel before picking me up after work. We arrived around dinnertime, and had some mexican food and margaritas (only I had a daquiri since tequila and I had a falling out a number of years ago. Even before I finished a single one, I kept calling it a margarita even though it wasn't one. Sweetheart had to remind me.) My friend T and I picked up where we left off even though it's been way too long since I had seen her. This included silliness enough to embarass my tolerant husband.

The next morning we had waffles.

What, waffles where you live aren't shaped like your state?

After breakfast, it was time to get started on the cake. It was P's birthday, he plays guitar, and we were at a music festival. It seemed like the thing to do. I had gotten started at home since we were driving and they were flying.


I added the colors and T mixed them in--even when I managed to mistake yellow for red--or vice versa, I can't remember now--just that I did it wrong.


I used a piping bag for the first time with reasonable success.


I must say that Martha usually has a more conducive work station than we had to use.


However, I thought the finished product was pretty darn good. It's hard to see because I take snapshots and not Photos, but there is a pick guard and sound hole that are darker than the guitar body.


For some reason this picture reminds me of the Shake-and-bake commercial, "and we helped."


The birthday boy seemed pleased with the results.


As for the festival itself, I had a blast. I heard some old favorites and some new folks I really liked. There is a definite hippy feel to this festival compared to the one I have gone to the past 6 years. The tie dye is much more prevalent. They compost the trash. They do not sell any disposable cups. You can buy your own at a reasonable rate or bring one from home and have it filled at a price according to its size.

One moment I loved was seeing a fairly "girly girl" carefully study the biker guy in front of her and ask her mother to fix her bandanna "like his."


One artist was only 17 years old and very talented. He did have a bit more "angst" thank I generally enjoy, but his guitar playing, poise and interactions with the audience were really great. He quoted Dylan and sang a protest song about Pluto being stripped of its planet status. He had a great line about the president being upset, "What do you mean, I love that dog!" (as in Mickey Mouse) "Cheney, get the gun!"

Another musician had a great song about a baseball pitcher throwing a no hitter on a day he had mistaken for an off day and taken some acid. I have some research to do, but I believe it to be a true story. He said, "I think the fact that he now works as a drug counselor has something to do with the fact he has not responded to either CD I sent him."

What's a festival without a few craft booths, we both bought anklets...


And I bought some armadillo earrings.

They would be more accurate if they were upside down--I have never seen one that was't hanging out as road kill.

Another cool thing was that the festival cared not that we brought in two pitchers--one filled with homemade sangria and the other with homemade mojitos. This monkey that follows me around the country tried to steal one.


It was a great weekend. Sweetheart and I had a chance to relax and get away from everyday life, visiting with good friends seen far too seldom, and music in the scorching hot sun. Who could ask for anything more?