Saturday, July 5, 2008

When we gave my father gray hairs

We all know that we have given our parents many gray hairs over the years, but one event in particular came to my mind this week.

I think I was about 13 years old, so that would make the step down of the sibs to be 12, 11, 10 and 8. Add my sister's friend so end up with another 11 year old to the mix. For some reason, my father chose to take all of us to the mall to purchase my stepmother's birthday gift. I think in retrospect, he would consider this a bad decision.

This was during the time of arcades--you know those places full of video games that kids today don't have to frequent because they have everything at their fingertips. My little brother and stepbrother were frequent attendees of arcades.

I'm unsure of the exact timeline of events, but the bottom line was this. All the kids got separated from each other, and my father couldn't find more than a couple of us at a time. He'd put us someplace and tell us to stay and go look for some more. When he returned, the ones he had 'caught' before would have gone away.

At one point, he gave my brothers the present to watch. They weren't paying much attention (Pac Man was getting that) and somebody nicked the present. My sister (at some point) went out to where she thought the car was and didn't see it. So she walked home. I think it was about 3 miles, much further (and on busier streets) than was reasonable even way back then. Somehow my father ultimately rounded us all up and we made it home--but still minus a present I'm sure he couldn't afford to lose.

The reason I remember this event is that I believe it was the last time I was spanked. My father called them "bashes," and they were doled out in specific numbers. We would be folded over his knee and get popped with an open hand. That day, we each got the number to match our age. Somehow the topic of spanking came up this week, and I remembered. When I talked to my dad he remembered also, and managed to laugh about it.

This wasn't the worst thing I ever did as a kid, but it was up there as far as trauma caused to a parent. How about you? When was one of the times you made your parents wish they never had kids?