Thursday, July 3, 2008

Relaxing a bit

I won't get into the details here (they are boring and we have moved on), but this past weekend was a significant low point for me. The problems with Brownie seemed to take a big spike, and Sweetheart and I were just not on the same page about things. I now wonder if we were even in the same book. I was so discouraged that my stomach hurt, my head ached, and I wanted to hide under the covers and cry. I didn't do that exactly, but certainly took cover for a bit.

Last Tuesday the girls were here again, and I was really stressed about it. As it turned out, there was indeed another meltdown, but Sweetheart and I both took steps in the appropriate directions as far as dealing with it. And her reaction was different. It is such a relief to get evidence that what you are doing is a good thing because it is really hard to do even though you know it is a good thing. I hope you know what I mean, because I cannot possibly rewrite that sentence.

Then Brownie had her first session with the counselor. She initially didn't want to go, but left really excited about it. The therapist gave us positive feedback about her willingness to talk, her level of insight, and (yay) the fact that she did include me in the picture she drew of her family. (many steps do not do this--they still see their family as siblings and bio parents only.)

I am encouraged, and this is a good thing. I still feel stressed out, but not to the same degree. I am looking forward to an almost 3 day weekend (4 hours of call on Sunday), and then just working 2 days next week. We are going to a music festival with some amazing friends, and it will be good for all.

Have a happy and safe weekend.