Friday, June 13, 2008

A very good day

Yesterday, my father told me he had sent me a package I needed to sign for because he had insured it. I reminded him that he shouldn't have sent me anything that needed insurance. He blew me off like he does about things like that. I told him I would be home after 3, and that if they had tried to deliver it earlier, I would pick it up today. He left me two voice mails and we had a conversation aroun 5:30 in chich he said he was having "angst" over the fact it had not arrived. At this point, I said to Sweetheart that it must have been something sentimental for him to be so upset. He couldn't find the tracking number, the store he mailed from was closed, and the website couldn't help him without the tracking number. As we headed out through the garage, I went to check one more time to see if a note had blown off or maybe they had come during the 20 minutes I was in the tub. I notice a very slight bulge under the door mat. It is the package--with the "signature required" sticker proudly displayed. Poppa was happy to hear that it had arrived. Turns out he was "going through some things" and found his mother's wedding band in a box and decided that it would be better served sent to me. My fingers are definitely larger than hers were, but I am happy to have it.

Then, we went to eat. A thinking blogger would have taken her camera, but it I had I would have embarrassed my husband so maybe that's for the best.

We went to a restaurant named t'afia that focuses on using local foods. I splurged and got the five course tasting special which was awesome. I meant to ask for a menu, but forgot after two drinks over my usual. Here's what I remember (but with much less foodie phrasing)
Course 1 Crackers with baked brie and quince paste
Course 2 Peach and tomato gazpacho
Course 3 Mushrooms in a kind of wonton-ish roll (see what I mean about non foodie phrasing?) with radishes, smoked salmon, and a creamy, yummy sauce
Course 4 Shrimp (that were not shrimpy) rolled in poblano peppers, and the best pieces of dead pig (bacon) I may have ever eaten. There was a cold side dish of avocado and citrus fruit in a spicy tomato based dressing.

At this point the chef who Sweetheart knows came by the table. We raved about the food and she asked what we wanted for dessert. I was getting my scheduled 5th course, and he was having creme brulee. She decided that we needed some bonuses, so....

Course 5 My carrot and squash cake with creme fraich and the best blueberries ever. His creme brulee. Huge bread pudding with chocolate and decadence. Bowl of bittersweet chocolate truffles. Bowl of dates with marscapone and pistachioes.

I don't always eat healthy, but I rarely eat until I cause myself discomfort that follows me all the way home and makes me curl up and groan.

They also feature lots of Texas wines, and had some great cocktails.

I had a Bojito which was made with blood orange vodka. There were also wines infused with local fruits which we samples all of between the two of us. (I am not an English major. I know that sentence isn't right, but I don't care.)

We had reservations at 6:30 which I told my husband was the equivalent of eating at Picadilly at 4:30 for dinner when you are REALLY old.

The space was small with exposed ducts and beams. It was decorated art deco style, but the chairs were still comfortable.

This would have been way better with a photo of every course, but hubby might have been irritated--even with the extra leeway one is given on "the anniversary of the arrival of my pointy headed child" as my father calls my birthday.