Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The changing of the earrings..and a bit about showers

Last night was a really good one with the kids. They were fed and watered (with vegetables, even) before I got home.

Then began the Drama of the Earrings.

It had benn 6 weeks since the piercing, and new earrings had been purchased. The girls were ready to have them changed. I must say, that the twins are not the rough and tumble type. They have a fairly low pain tolerance and are somewhat timid. We are working on those things.

I took out Brownie's first earring. I must admit that those piercing studs are cuter than they used to be, but they are still a bitch to remove. I do have fingernails, and either my fingernail or the earring pinched her earlobe. Oh my, the tears and drama. She now had one flower and one frog earring in place. Sweetheart was trying to convince her to change the other one and had little success.

I hugged her and asked if she knew what a Drama Queen was. I told her it was someone who mad a much larger deal of a minor situation. I acknowledged that her ear hurt a little, but reminded her that nobody has punched her. We then tried to get Blondie to change hers (she is less dram as a general rule), but her sister's antics had completely scared her.

THey were both covering their ears and shuddering. Brownie finally agreed (when her dad went to the car, I persuaded her that it would be cool for it to be changed when he returned). She pleaded, "Have mercy!" as if I had a dangerous weapon and were flogging her. The removal of the second was easier, but the reinsertion of the replacement was a bit difficult (you know, when the hole doesn't seem to quite line up). However, we completed the mission of twin one.

Blondie finally let me change hers. She is a bit braver for a moment, but kept shaking and pulling her head away. When I mentioned the danger of ripping a hole in the earlobe, she managed to chill. Unfortunately, her studs were even harder to unhook, but the earrings went in more easily.

I was a bit afraid that Brownie's earrings might not stand up to water very well, but when I mentioned it she said, "Well, I may not take a shower then."

This was nixed quickly by her father--you need a shower because you smell bad.

Last week's drama involved the shower thing. "I have taken a bath every day of my life for almot 10 years, and I am getting tired of it." Even though this was part of an unpleasant moment, Sweetheart and I had to squelch laughs. I told her she likely had many more years of daily bathing, so she best get over it.

Oh yeah, I'm twittering now, so if you want more of this nonsense, just follow me. If I'm not yet following you (and we like each other) let me know.