Tuesday, June 10, 2008

This one time, at band camp....

I may be the only person in the world who has no idea what follows that quote in the movie. I'm okay with that.

The twins left Sunday for camp. An overnight camp from which they return on Friday. I am pleasantly surprised they have made it two nights without any phone calls home. To the best of my knowledge, they have spent the night away from parents and grandparents exactly once. That was for a birthday at the home of the girl who had lived across the street for a very long time. When we first started talking about going to Atlanta for the wedding, they were very worried about staying in a hotel. They are not terribly gung ho about trying new things, so when I heard about 5 nights at sleepaway camp I wondered. I figure that no news is good news.

The city of Atlanta had some fairly decent camps for kids in the summer. I know they had to be reasonably priced, because we didn't have any "extra" money. First there was day camp in the recreation center for mostly games and crafts. Then you moved on to day camp in the "woods." Finally, you graduated to a Monday through Friday sleep in cabins type camp.

One summer, I got off the bus returning from camp with tears streaming down my face. Mother later told me she thought it was because I was so glad to see her. It was actually because I was so upset it was over. Then, Mother did one of the coolest things she ever did. She and my best friend's mom arranged for Terri and I to return to camp the following week. Of course, the second week didn't have the same magic that the first week did, but it was still a very cool thing to do.

Did you go to camp as a kid? Are your kids going to camp this summer?