Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Next patient, please

I managed somehow to find an in network provider that seemed like a good possible fit for us (location and specialty). I called her, and she's on maternity leave. Oh crap, I think, now I have to start the whole search again. However, she had someone covering for her in the same office. Miracle of miracles, she was also on the plan, and she seemed like a reasonable person when we spoke briefly on the phone about what was going on. And, she had an opening tomorrow which we were able to fit into our schedule. I hope this is a good sign of things to come. Sweetheart and I have talked about what our goals are and what we hope to get accomplished. I am very optimistic about things. I know it won't be easy, but I also know that we can make it work.

I was quite amazed by the mound of paperwork that she emailed me to complete prior to the session. It wasn't health history, it was all the stuff she had to tell us to cover her ass. "I understand that there is no guarantee regarding the duration of treatment or that I will benefit from counseling. I understand taht therapy may deal with sensitive or difficult topics and may elicit uncomfortable emotions."

Well, no shit. You mean if I don't work hard/have a good relationship/good fit with the therapist, it might not work?

Therapy isn't EASY? Oh yeah, if it were easy then I wouldn't have to PAY someone to help me deeal with this shit.

Then there were the Office Guidelines (which translate to common sense things but we have to spell it out for the idiots).
Do not allow your children to play in the elevator.
Take your child to the bathroom before the session.
Do not leave your minor child unattended in the waiting room.
We expect ther to be a need for snacks prior to afternoon and evening sessions. For your convenience, we have placed trash cans in each office.

I know that they wrote these because there have been parents who dropped their kids off to walk to the office, played in the elevator, and left trash all over the place, and generally made a nuisance of themselves. Give me a break!

When I first was in therapy about half my life ago, all I did was make an appointment and show up. None of the shit about no promises of success, that it wasn't magical fairy dust, and that I had to behave like a human and not an animal. How weird!