Monday, August 25, 2008

Yes, I went there, and I had fun

***severe inconsistency in punctuation. I apologize to those whm it offends.****

I purchased tickets for the American Idol Top Ten concert in Houston last night--initially for the girls and me. However, due to a lack of current interest on their part, and today being the first day of school, we chose not to go with that plan. We tried to sell the tickets, and had no luck. The final verdict was that I went with a friend from work.

The seats were great--I actually thought I was in the wrong place when I came up against the cordoned off area and then realized it was the right place--the seats were that good.

I was pleased with the format--each of the top ten were able to sing three songs. I was afraid it was going to be a bunch of the group songs that we heard just a bit too much of during the season.

Here are the things I remember. I don't listen to current music--so I did not recognize many of the songs.

Chikieze came out first. He was personable, dancing and in good voice.

Ramiele--still a little power house, far less timid than before.

Michael Johns--(voted off far too early IMHO) came up out of the stage like a true rock star "We Are The Champions," "It's So Wrong but It's So Right," "Dream On." Absolutely great and wonderful.

Kristy Lee--I have as little use for her now as ever, but the crowd loved her. "God Bless the USA."

Carly--How could I have forgotten about her? She looked great, and while I am not the biggest fan of her geisha tattoo if I were going to have a girl crush on a rocker chick it would be her. Crazy on You, and the old Cyndi Lauper "Drove All Night"

Brooke--great reception from the crowd, "Let it be" and two on guitar--one I believe was an original song "Yellow." I love her and would buy her CD if I had any money right now.

Jason--still stoned and cute and dreamy eyed. "Over the Rainbow" and "What a day for a day dreamer."

Syesha--my only disappointment for the night. I thought the vocals were muddy for her songs. She looked great, though

David A.--screaming teenyboppers galore. He sounded good (and was said to be sick) and he has matured a bit. Just not my cup of tea.

David Cook--kicked ass with a rocking, angry version of "Hello" (Lionel Ritchie). Amazingly good. "This is the Time of My Life." "Don't Want to Miss a Thing" and "Hero." He was personable, had good banter and stage presence, and was gracious and somewhat awed by the reception (or did a good job faking it). He videoed the crowd, "So I have something to remember when you crown next year's Idol and I'm on the Where Are They Now? show."

I was pleasantly surprised, to be honest. I love the show, but didn't really think the show would be up my alley. I would have showed up for "Hello" alone. Well, that and Carly Smithson. :-)

What shows have you seen lately?