Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Making my head and heart hurt

There have been a couple of local incidents that have really got me thinking. I haven't looked for articles to link, but I'm sure you could find them with a quick google if you are so inclined.

Two girls ages 13 and 14 gave birth this week. One girl was returning from a field trip and put her baby in the trash can on an airplane. The other girl was at school and attempted to flush her baby down the toilet. The first baby was found to be stillborn, so that child/mother will not be facing any charges. The second situation is still under investigation. I believe that both girls say that they did not know they were pregnant. Those are the facts as I know them.

My feelings are multi layered. I feel sorry for the girls going through such a situation so completely alone. I feel angry at the girls for for not telling anyone they were pregnant. I am angry at their parents for not being available to discuss important topics with their daughters. I am angry at their parents and teachers for not noticing that their daughters were pregnant.

Mother didn't do everything right, in fact there were many things she fucked up royally. However, she did ask me if I wanted to get on birth control pills when I started dating at 16 years old. (I was horrified that she thought I was having sex, but in retrospect, I appreciate it.) Maybe it is because we had a small house and just one bathroom, but I know there is no way in the universe that I could be nine months pregnant and she wouldn't have noticed. I didn't have a tv in my room, we actually hung out together (also perhaps because we didn't have any money--but the result was the same).

I realize this is not a "put together" series of thoughts, but any of you who read me regularly wouldn't expect that anyway. How was the sex/pregnancy thing handled in your house? Could you have been that pregnant with nobody noticing?

Any brilliant thoughts about how to deal with these huge problems?