Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I seriously need a title writer

Not very long ago, there was a television show discussing a practice once common in Tibet called a "sky burial." The body is cut into pieces and placed on a mountaintop to be consumed by animals, birds of prey, or the elements. I had previously thought that I wanted to be cremated, but this seems far better to me. However, as it is fairly unlikely I will be in Tibet when I die, and I think it would be far too difficult for some of my family to deal with, I began to look at other options.

There is a process called Promession during which the body is submerged in liquid nitrogen causing the remains to be so brittle that they shatter to powder resulting in 30% of the original volume. Also sounding good, but I would hazard a guess that it isn't cheap.

Then I found information about Natural Burials. The body is prepared without chemical preservatives, and instead of metal or plastic caskets, an eco friendly wood, a shroud, wicker or paper is used. Family and friends can even decorate the paper if they choose to do so. Generally native trees or shurbs are planted instead of a traditional tombstone, and the site can be marked with a flat stone also native to the location. Centralized records are kept with coordinates of each person's location, as the actual burial site will be difficult to locate without them.

I found a place here in Texas, and they detailed more specific practices. The graves must be dug by hand or using minimal equipment. No hearse is required for transport, and you can have your pets (up to four) buried with you. I guess it is also unlikely that I will be living in Texas when I die, but I will certainly be looking for a similar place when we move on. I think the cost is very close to that of a cremation, and I am reading more and more about how cremation is not very eco friendly. Yes, I am a bit odd, and I know most people don't spend time researching this kind of stuff when they are healthy, but I am fascinated by what I have read.