Sunday, March 30, 2008

Questions from Wickedly Scarlett

Angela asked me a couple more questions. For those keeping score, Angela and I found each other's blogs via Blog Explosion more than two years ago. Does anyone still go to BE any more? I love her new tagline for commenting!

Have you always been a fan of finding music off the beaten path? How do you find the musicians you really love?

I always loved music, but I tended to listen to whatever anybody else was listening to. I didn't really have music I called mine. I had some CDs but not many. A friend of a friend told a guy I was dating at the time "You have to go see this guy Ellis Paul." We did, and I was hooked from the beginning--it simply spoke to me in a way I can't explain. I always find it hard to describe the music....people call it folk music or singer/songwriter, but there is wide variation within those labels. I never really sought out other musicians of his ilk, but I also never missed a show when he came to Atlanta. Then there was the fateful night when he brought this little bald guy named Don Conoscenti to accompany him. Don had lived in Atlanta, so he did several of his own songs. I had one of those "slap your head" moments when I realized there were many of these relative unknowns who I would love. Through this music (and the internets), I have made many wonderful friends (including my husband) and traveled to New York, California and many points in between to hear musicians whose names most people have never heard. I didn't date that boy very long, but the series of coincidences that brought us to that show literally changed my life.

What got you interested and started in blogging?

I stumbled across my first blog in 2004. I read some crappy ones, and I read some that were amazingly compelling both in content and in writing. I sent my sister a few links of the good ones. She then sent me a link--to her new blog. I started July 29, 2005, and have managed to keep with it far longer than I ever kept a paper journal. I'll never be famous or have a jagillion hits, but I still enjoy it, and as long as I do, I will continue.

Okay, if there are no more questions, I will be forced to come up with topics all by myself. Be afraid, be very afraid.