Monday, March 17, 2008

A day at the rodeo

Now that I have lived in Texas for two years, it seemed time to go to the rodeo. Wisecrow had work to do, so the girls and I headed out.
We first went to the birthing center where we were able to see some recently born calves, pigs and sheep.


We also watched a video about farm animals and birth, after which the kids both said that they were not going to have babies. I have to admit, after seeing the calf being pulled out by a chain wouldn’t have me terribly enthusiastic either.
The baby chicks were very cute, and watching the girls watch them was fun.
They both wanted to bring one home, but I reminded them that we have a dog and three cats. That and the fact that they grow into chickens seemed to work. They didn’t like it when I asked if we should name it “Nugget.”


It was then time for a lunch break, at the Rodeo, you can get pizza as big as your face…..

Sausage on a stick and cotton candy…….

And a whole host of other things that remind me why we are overweight.
Fried what?

And, just in case your arteries are too tough for fries alone??? Try adding some bacon and cheese to them.

We then went to see the pig races which included Swifty the swimming pig. I don't know how to edit video, so sorry you see my leg after the pigs go running by.



All in all, it was a pretty good day. And did I mention it was 90 degrees outside?? In the middle of March??