Saturday, March 22, 2008

More hospital rules

I previously blogged about rules for being a patient, but it seems working with children has brought up a whole new crop. These are to be taken tongue in cheek because I can't imagine anything more stressful than your kid having surgery.

1. Wear comfortable clothes. Your child is having surgery. You will be sitting and holding your sick kid for a long time--not to mention all the wrangling of a hungry and somewhat anxious kid before hand. Sick kids cry, drool, and puke. I'm making a wild ass guess that as a parent you know this. Your best leather jacket and very stylish boots do not impress me. In fact, they make me think you have no sense, or at least that your priorities are mixed up.

2. I know this is a stressful day, but it is not my fault or your child's fault. When you cry, your child gets more upset. When you bark at me, he knows things are not good. Please suck it up and be calm for your child's sake if nothing else.

3. Please do not leave for a long lunch (an hour or more) when your child is in the recovery room. We are there to take care of your child's medical needs. When your child needs to be held and rocked, he wants mommy, not some stranger wearing scrubs. We will do it, but you really should be there.

4.Yes, we ask some questions more than once, particularly the important ones. Wouldn't you rather that 5 people ask about allergies than somehow end up with your child getting a drug he shouldn't get? We aren't perfect, we make mistakes. Multiple questions help us make sure the mistakes aren't big ones. Please don't get mad at us for this.

For the most part, the parents I have met have been wonderful and have humbled me greatly. These only apply to a small percentage. Again, I will tolerate almost anything short of outright abuse. I know you are stressed out. I know my job is to take care of your child, as well as make things as easy as possible for you as worried parents. Please help me do both of those things.