Saturday, March 15, 2008

I hate moving

However, I think since I invited people over from the old place that I at least should have a chair to sit in and something to drink out of.

After so much griping about work in the past, I have to share some of the things that make my current job so wonderful. The precocious 4 year old who told me she was adopted (she wasn't), and that her dog had moved to Florida to live with his parents (he died--and no, this wasn't a version her parents made up for her).

The mother who spoke very little english, sitting saying her rosary after her daughter was diagnosed with leukemia. The mother of three who adopted three neighborhood children after they were put into foster care, and then adopted one more when the mother got pregnant again during the process. The mother with grown children who brought her infant adopted daughter in for her first of many cleft palate repair surgeries. When I asked, she said, "I knew all my life I had a daughter in China."

Then, this week, I had an eight year old boy who had his trach (hole in the neck for breathing) removed. He left the hospital as an infant with a trach. He didn't know why his mother was so excited it was gone--for him it was just life. His grandmother nearly brought me to tears when she said, "He will figure out what a big deal it is when he can go swimming this summer. He has never been able to go underwater in his life."

Perhaps the change of scenery will help me be a better blogger. I'll move the rest of my things and tidy up a bit more in the upcoming days.