Friday, June 4, 2010

More sadness

We lost a good friend late last night after a short battle with lung cancer. Becky wasn't someone I saw more than once or twice a year. We didn't even talk or email often, but I met her online first, then at many music events after that. Four days after "meeting" her in person, I missed my flight home to Atlanta from the festival we had all attended. I called her for suggestions on a hotel to stay until I could make the next morning's flight. She insisted on driving the 30 or so miles and taking me back to her home where I ate the first home cooked meal in days. Though she and her husband had to work the next day, they refused to let me call a cab--driving me back to catch my very early morning flight.

I will miss her beautiful smile, her absolute graciousness in every situation, and her positive spirit. I am better for having known her.