Monday, October 26, 2009

I never really thought about how hard it was

You know the people who work at the doctor's office? The ones who open the door holding a chart? The ones to whom you look with eyes begging that they call your name? The ones who take your blood pressure and temperature and leave you stranded waiting for the doctor to come into the room?

I learned how to be one of those today. Or at least I halfway learned how to be one of those. The calling names is easy. Blood pressures? Also easy. Taking temperatures?? Easiest of all. All the other shit one must do to make sure you call the right names at the right times, have the right chart for the right patient, updating stuff in the computer so everyone else knows what room what patient is in and what needs to happen next?? Nerve wracking. How crazy is that? All I know is that I will try very hard not to think anyone has an easy job without sufficient information again.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention pulling down the roll of paper that cover the examination table in between patients. Doing it is easy, remmebering to it--not so much.