Saturday, October 24, 2009

Drugs

I had a lovely evening yesterday after I tried to pick up my prescriptions. The woman at the drugstore said it was going to be a thousand dollars and some change. Turns out that previous job (instead of continuing my benefit through the end of the month like every single other job I have ever left) cut off my prescription benefit as of the last day I worked. Seven PM on a Friday is never a great time to try to figure out something like this.

The meds in question are for my depression/anxiety. I am finally on a cocktail that seems to be working fairly well. I figure the last thing I need is to start having panic attacks while I am trying to do my new job. That would go over exceptionally well, wouldn't it?

I called the member number on the back of the card, and found out they don't have a particular policy about when coverage ends, they just end it when the benefits people tell them to do so. I muddled through a bunch of my new hire stuff trying to find out which company was carrying my new prescription coverage. It is already in effect, but I do not have a card to give the pharmacy. If I had a thousand bucks to pay now, I would get reimbursed, but who the hell has that kind of money lying around? Certainly not me. I managed to call the company, but my information is not yet in their computer (no surprise). So, I got three days worth of drugs at the cost of $110 (also an amount I don't really have lying around currently).

Monday, I will talk to benefits and beg my doctor to me some samples of at least one of my meds to get me through. In the middle of all the goings on, I called my dad who is retired from HR. His HR expertise wasn't what helped, but turns out that he was prescribed the same anti depressant I was and it didn't agree with him. He's sending them to me in the mail to arrive on Tuesday. That will get me to the point that I can figure something else out.