Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Not making me regret my decision

Today's work day was actually a good one, but there was enough UBS* to reconfirm my decision to leave.

I continue to be amazed at the prejudiced views held by so many. I am even more surprised by the fact that people continue to express these views.

I came to work today to hear a co-worker bitch and moan about this and that and then said, "This is off the record, but I am so tired of working with black people--there is too much drama." I replied that I felt all people were capable of drama and that I didn't think any group had a corner of the market. She went on to complain about many other assorted things that suck about our job and that she feels "stuck" there.

I never know how to handle it when people say such absurd things. I don't ever want to be silent and let it be assumed that I am in agreement. However, I don't really want to start fights with co-workers, no matter how short-lived the relationship will be. I am left feeling like I didn't say enough.

I don't think that my new position will be free from difficult people. However, I am super tired of the difficult ones I have been with the past 2 years.

*UBS=Unnecessary Bullshit, unlike the kind that just comes with the job. My father coined the phrase--he's retired from human resources.