Friday, September 12, 2008

Guardian angels and updates

There is artwork by children all over the place where I work. One group of pictures has been getting my attention lately. Kids were asked to represent their guardian angels, and the results are fascinating.

There are some that look like Glenda the good witch. Others look like more traditional church style angels. However, the ones that catch my eye are the ones that are a bit more unusual. There is a giraffe with wings. There is a hoochie looking girl with a mini skirt, midriff showing and wearing boots. There is a tough looking football player (except for the wings). There is a dog that also has wings. I always wonder if they represent particular people or animals, or just the wonders of a child's imagination.

Thanks so incredibly much for all the comments about Sidney. I wish I could have answered each one personally, but I still get weepy when I talk/write about her. The comments all mean so much to me.

We are hunkering down for Ike and the trouble he will bring. It is eerily quiet here--the proverbial calm before... We have canned goods, candles, lanterns and batteries galore. Oh yes--and alcohol. We are also fortunate to live in an area not prone to flooding and a new construction home built up to post Katrina standards. We may be uncomfortable, but we plan to be very safe. As Poppa said, "At least you have a tall house."

Will check in again as soon as updates are available.